Friday, February 5, 2010

Mr Fixit...NOT!

Okay, I gotta confess something...I'm not a handyman.  Oh, I like to think when there is something that needs fixing that I can grab my tools and jump right in.  However, what usually happens is that I fix something that is slightly broke until it is completely broke!  It's not that I don't recognize the fact that I'm mechanically challenged...it's just that, as a man, I feel like I can fix things without the aid of outside help.  When something is broken in our home or on one of our vehicles, my wife watches patiently as I go about trying to repair it...only to smile when, later, after much aggravation, a lot of frustration, and a little anger; I give in and call a professional. I frown like a scolded child as this "professional" comes in and not only fixes the original problem but also cleans up the mess that I made trying to do what I knew I was unable to do in the first place!
You know what's funny? Many of us believe that we are our own spiritual handy-persons.
We have a problem that presents itself in our lives...it's a problem that we know that we cannot solve on our own and yet we forge ahead with limited skill and even more limited knowledge and try to solve the problem ourselves.  We make the problem worse and eventually we too have to call THE professional...we gotta call God.  In God comes, the great Problem Solver, and He not only fixes the original problem but cleans up the mess we made trying to be spiritual "do-it-yourselfers".
Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 that when we have a problem, when we are being worn out by life and the many booby traps that the enemy sets for us that we can come to Him.  We can give him our work order...we can ask the great I AM to step in and take whatever it is that is burdening us and step aside to let the Master Builder make all the necessary repairs.
So, the next time you and I have a spiritual problem or issue (and ALL of our problems are spiritual!),  let's call the One that is truly qualified to fix things up...you can check His references if you like....they're impeccable...

No comments: