Thursday, January 1, 2009

God is not gray!

I was doing my daily reading today (1 Thess. 5) and something occured to me. I was struck by verses 12-22 and how many absolute words were used; words like, "always, never, all, do not, etc...". It started me to thinking that God ALWAYS uses absolutes, especially when He wants us to do something or be something that is according to His will. God always gives us very clear directions. Where we often mess up is when we take the very black and white instructions that God gives us and smear the lines to make them gray, especially when God calls for us to step out of our comfort zones and do something that we would otherwise avoid if left to our own devices. But, you see, that is the thing...God isn't gray. God is technicolor. He is the sunrise and sunset in all its splendor. He is all the beauty of a spring day and a baby's smile...but, He is not gray. I have not yet read anywhere, in any bible of any translation, where God requires us to do something that is according to His will and adds a, "...if you feel like it" or "if you want to" to the request. WE blur the lines so that we can avoid doing something that might make us feel uncomfortable at first or so that we can shy away from beginning a difficult task or so we can fulfill our own lusts and desires. We blur the lines and then justify our actions by making statements like, "Well, if God didn't intend for me to do this then He would stop me...", (all I can say is that if you ever find yourself making a statement like that it is a good chance that you have smeared the black and white already).
Well, if you know me then you know that I have a phrase that I am rather fond of..."When it's God, there is no doubt". God calls us to be things here on this earth...salt and light...so that He may be glorified. He doesn't tell us to do this if we feel like it or if we get a chance...no...He simply says, "...Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone" and "Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances", (1 Thess. 5:14, 16-18) and these are all absolutes.
So the next time you and I are faced with absolutes from God we have to be mindful of His absolute character. Christ died absolutely for us and it is through His absolute sacrifice that we are absolutely forgiven. And that is definitely not gray.

No comments: