Sunday, January 4, 2009

What's in it for me?

How many times have you asked yourself that question? What's in it for me? How can I get mine? Is this gonna benefit me or not? I have to admit that I am guilty of thinking these questions myself. It wasn't until recently that God opened my eyes to how wanting to ensure success for yourself was different from simply being selfish. 1 Thessalonians 2:4 reads, "For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. he alone examines the motives of our hearts". I had to stop and think about that for a minute...then repent for my past actions. It is not that I have ever been a "credit seeker", someone that is always doing things for a reward from someone else...I have never really been a quid pro quo kinda guy....but, I have to admit that there have been times in the past that my motives for doing something were self serving. What I didn't stop to think about is that even though the world may not see my true reasons for doing something...God saw and knew my motives. How humbling to have to go to God and ask forgiveness....humbling because outwardly some of the things I did for others seemed like an act of kindness...but, in reality, it was merely a selfish act on my part...just trying to get something in return. I am so thankful that God has given me the right perspective. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit has shown me that as long as my motive is to please God then no matter what I do it will help and improve someone else's life. I am so blessed to know that God loves me enough to correct me when I am wrong...makes me feel like exactly what I am...His son.

1 comment:

Ez37 said...

Great post Mike, great to get some insight myself from it.