Monday, April 27, 2009

The grand prize...

One could conclude by virtue of my blog tag name...I like food. If one pie is good, then two pies are better. Having this type of love affair with all things edible has made my once rock hard (yeah, right!) body...well, let's just say I'm a bit softer than I was in my 20's and 30's. Anyway, I have been on a quest to get into better shape and use the time that I walk and workout to talk to God. I am so blessed that God answers us.
As I hit the road this morning I was going to God with a particular issue that I have currently in my life...the issue of doubt. Now, the issue is not one of me doubting God per se, but of me doubting myself and the place where He has me at this point of my life. I often find myself asking God, "Am I doing it right?" and "Are you sure I'm in the right place, Lord?" and, " Are you sure you have the right guy, Lord? 'Cause I sure don't see anything happening!" Such was the case this morning. Doubt was eating me up and I was, once again questioning God's wisdom. Needless to say...God didn't answer me...right then.
I returned home, showered and just before leaving for the office I decided to check my email. In my inbox was a email from a co-worker with various bits of information on it. The final sentence was a thank you to those people that had helped in the many different events that are going on at my church. It was the last sentence that God chose to use to speak to me. The sentence said, " Your true reward will only be revealed in Heaven". I stopped reading...God had gotten my attention.
Remember when we were kids and we would pluck someone on the ear? (Maybe you were the pluckee rather than the plucker!) Well, God plucked me!
God's Holy Spirit brought to remembrance a certain scripture...1 Corinthians 3:5-9 that reads:
5 After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. 6 I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. 7 It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. 9 For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building. (NLT)
God uses whatever He wants to get us to see exactly what He needs us to see. In this case He used a email to get me around to where He wanted me.
You see, it's all about just doing whatever it is God created you to do. Often times we get so caught up in seeing results that we miss the fact that sometimes the things we do right now will not show any results at all until much, much later. Not only that, but things we go through, good and bad, are sometimes meant for someone other than ourselves. I had been so focused on seeing something happen in the ministry where God has placed me that I lost sight of the fact that it is God that grows not TwoPieMike!
We are gardeners. Gardeners do what they do...they garden...planting seeds, watering soil...but the sun is what produces growth. Ever see a plant that received only water and no sunlight? Did it grow into a healthy, lush plant? Bet it was more sickly if it even grew at all!
We are God's gardeners...we plant seeds (God's word), water the soil (preach, teach and encourage) but, it is the Son that produces growth. No matter how much we want growth...none will occur until God's Son shines down and gives the growth producing Light. Any growth that takes place after the planting and watering is due to God and only God. The fruit that is produced is not for us or our glory...but, for God. What we have to look forward to is a jeweled crown that we are able to lay at our Father's feet.
Like I said, I am so thankful that God speaks to us when we talk to him...and when I think about it...I like being a gardener. No doubt about it...

No comments: