Saturday, April 4, 2009

Is it just me?

I had a very...unique experience in a local store yesterday. Now I won't mention the name of the store but it rhymes with "Balsmart". Anyway...I had to go into this particular store to get some cold and flu remedies for members of the family. Of course I, like most men, go into a store and get into full hunter mode. I know what prey I am after (in this case...Tylenol, Motrin, orange juice and Gatorade). I quickly stalk my prey (shop), kill my prey (put stuff into cart), and then I am ready to drag my prey away to my lair (pay for stuff and take home).
Now being that I had only a few items, I chose to get into one of the "speedy" 20 items or less lines. There were a few ahead of me but, since I am continuously asking God for increased patience, I figured that the wait would be good for me. While I stood waiting to be cashed out I couldn't help overhearing the lady in front of me converse with some other people that she obviously knew. I gathered through the conversation that the woman was a school teacher. Now here is the rub...
The woman finished her conversation with her friends because it was her turn to place her items on the checkout belt. I casually watched her doing this and it dawned on me...she had a lot more items than the requisite 20...I mean A LOT MORE! In fact, she had a cart full of stuff! Now, don't ask me why I didn't notice before that she was pushin' a cart that was overflowing. Maybe I was too tired to notice, or maybe my mind was on my ailing family...whatever the case, the fact remained that somehow her 20 had multiplied while sitting in her cart into 60. It was amazing...but, somehow not as amazing as the next thing that I realized...SHE WAS A TEACHER!
You know, it's been a long time since I have been in school, college notwithstanding. However, I do seem to remember that teachers, at least back in my day, ( and I ain't that old!) tried to set the example for others to follow. I also seem to recall that most teachers had the ability to count and follow simple directions!
Now, I am not judging the woman and I never said a word. I waited for her to cash out, was pleasant with the cashier, paid for my stuff and left. I never was really upset at all...but, is it just me that gets frustrated at the wanton inconsiderate attitude that some people have for others? I understand that maybe she was in a hurry...we all are often in a hurry. But, does the fact that she is in a hurry make my time less valuable?
I guess that all I am trying to say is this...we are all here on this big ol' marble and have been appointed by Christ himself to love each other. Showing love for others can be done in many ways...sometimes great big ways like giving a kidney or donating a home...sometimes it's having a kind word or sharing a hug...and sometimes it's something as simple as being considerate of others in the smallest of ways...like getting into the correct line at the store and waiting your proper turn. (Taking the empty shopping cart and putting it back where it was gotten from would be nice too!)
Patience? Yeah, I guess God is still working that particular character trait out in me...but, I'm gettin' better y'all...I am getting better!

No comments: