Monday, March 30, 2009

Bailout? We don't need no stinkin' bailout!

I was talking to my better half the other day. The typical husband/wife conversation about anything and nothing. The conversation fell on the economy and the current state of decay that it is in. We spoke, as I am sure many others do, of how greedy some of the big corporations seem to be and how, as a country, we have fallen into the debt/credit trap. It was during the course of our verbal interlude that I realized something...I really didn't care. Hmm...did I just think that? Yep, I really don't care about the economy. Oh, my family feels the pinch at the pump and at the grocery store just like everyone else. And, yes we have had to change our spending habits somewhat in order to ensure that what money we have stretches as far as possible. But, it is not out of fear that we do these things but out of a sense of responsibility. We feel that we need to be good stewards of what God has given us...not that we have to sit and wring our hands every time we hear the words "stimulus" and "bailout". Is the economy bad? Yes. Is this country in dire economic straits? Seems so. But, in the gospel of Matthew, chapter 6, verses 19-31 talks about laying up treasure here on earth and about worrying about having enough to live on. And while I do agree that we have to be cognizant of current events (can't stick your head in the sand) those of us who are followers of Christ must also remember that Jesus promised us that He "will supply all of our needs" and that His grace is sufficient for us. Now, I don't know about you but, if Christ promised it...well then..."as for me and my house..."(Joshua 24:14-15).
Bottom line? Maybe there isn't one really. But, when it comes to a stimulus...why not try letting the Spirit of God stimulate your spirit. As for a bailout...well, Christ bailed us out at Calvary on the cross. Now that's something we all can bank on!

No comments: