Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shhhh....

CLICK!! Did you hear that? It was the sound of my tv remote turning off the television at my house. I don't know about you but I love to watch tv. I have my favorite shows like you do. I enjoy most sports and can take in CNN for hours at a time. We have three tvs here. Probably would have more if I had my way (thank goodness my wife is saner than I). But, the problem with all of those tvs is that it is so very loud at our house. I mean, I am not the most quiet person...add a very active and talkative 6 year old...a nineteen year old who is just like me...a grandson that gives new meaning to the term "energetic threes" AND my wife...and you have all the ingredients for a home that registers double digits on the noise scale! So, I made an executive dad type decision...but only for myself...I clicked off the tv. Now my family is free to watch all they want...but I felt an urgent need to turn a deaf ear to one of my biggest distractions.
It's not like I'm doing some type of experiment or anything like that. I am not making some social statement about the evils of television...it's just that God needed for me to hear Him. I have felt this tugging at my spirit by the Holy Spirit for a little while now...it just seems that there was so much noise that I couldn't focus on what God was trying to tell me. So, CLICK...off went the tv...in fact, I have switched off most of my electronical gadgets in the hope of hearing the "sound of a gentle whisper"(1 Kings 19:11-13).
You know, most of the time we lose sight of the fact that God is ALWAYS with us...we become so caught up in our daily lives that we fail to simply stop and listen to our Master's voice. Oh, we may listen to a song or two...or read for a couple of minutes in the morning...maybe we pray as we rise up or at night before we lay our heads down. But, really, how often do we just stop everything we are doing, switch everything that can be a distraction off and LISTEN? If you are like me I would venture to guess that the answer is, "not often enough".
I can't speak for you, but I feel that God has something special for me. I mean, he did create me and all...why wouldn't He have something just for me? So, if it's ok with you...I think I'll pass on the NCAA finals this year, and CSI and CNN...I'll even have to switch off SpongeBob for a minute....the bible says,"“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation.I will be honored throughout the world.” (Psalm 46:10) In order for me to be still, I have to shut off my external distractions and focus on my internal compass...Off with the tv...on with the voice of God....

No comments: