Saturday, February 28, 2009

Proud Parent

My middle son turned 19 today. We did the normal family birthday stuff...ate a good meal, sang the obligatory birthday song, opened presents and ate cake. Then we just participated in regular family silliness. It was fun for all.
As we enjoyed each others company I found myself taking a few moments to just look at my son. Anyone who knows me, knows the strong love I have for my 5 boys. I love them equally and have no favorite per se. However, this particular son is the one that I tend to gravitate toward the most as he is most like me. He looks like me, has the same sense of humor as I do, we like the same tv shows and movies. He is like a smaller, much more intelligent version of me. I thought about him...about the man he is becoming. I found myself remembering the victories and setbacks he has had during his short tenure here. He has been relatively pleasent but has had his moments in the poor judgement department. Indeed, it was the times when he messed up most that I remember loving him the most. Angry? Yeah, sure. Disappointed? You bet. But, when my middle son, my "clone" made his biggest mistakes it seemed like my heart simply ached with love for him. Almost as if seeing him fallible made him all the more endearing to me. I guess I am just a proud parent.
As my mind was fixated on all of the above a new thought occurred to me...God is a proud parent too.
The gospel of John, chapter 1 verse 12 reads: " But to all that believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God."(NLT) As Christ followers we became God's children the day we believed and accepted Him. And God, as a parent, watches us as we go through our lives much like we watch our children here on earth. He is deeply disappointed when we fail to trust Him, and righteously proud when we do His will. When we mess up His heart aches too. But, no matter what, He loves us. Unconditionally and completely. He wants us to achieve the best He has for us. I am so thankful that my Father in heaven loves me. I pray that every time that I look upon my sons with love in my heart that I remember that I am loved too...by a wonderfully merciful Father that never sleeps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, just read your post and wanted to let you know that your words are very straight to the heart in my opinion. God has his hand on you my friend, and I am so glad that He has put me in your circle. Your words about your son and your family are true, true, true. I'm glad that you have the foresight and wisdom to put it into words. As your brother, love ya man. C

Anonymous said...

Wowsers! Thank you so much for that reminder. I know I often forget to think of God as a proud parent; espeically when I mess up.
This blog has definately been a blessing. Thanks for sharing with us what the Lord shares with you.