Monday, January 11, 2010

Indirect healing...

Sharing our faith can be one of the most challenging things that God calls us to do. Nobody likes or looks for rejection but, when we step out and talk to others about our beliefs we put ourselves right in line to have doors slammed in our faces...to be told "No thanks!" Sometimes we have to realize that things aren't always how they seem.
I remember a time when, as a new believer, I was sharing my faith with a co-worker. I talked for what seemed like hours and pleaded with him to see things the way I saw them. At the end of the conversation he told me in no uncertain terms that he wasn't ready to make a lifestyle change and that he would greatly appreciate it if I did not share with him ever again. I was devastated. But then the most amazing God thing happened.
You see, a little while later a close friend of mine that also happened to be a co-worker, came up to me and asked me about what the other person and I were talking about. It seems he was in the next cubicle over and heard a great deal and wanted to know more. He was, in fact a little miffed that I shared with someone that we worked with and not him, a good friend. Well, 10 minutes later he accepted Christ! WOW!
We can never know how God will use our sharing. Sometimes the person we share with is not the person that God wants to reach at that moment. The Apostle Paul said in Romans 11:13, 14 that, "...I magnify my ministry, if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them." Sometimes it is hardest to share with those that are closest to us. But God, in His infinite wisdom will use any situation to bring glory to His name.
So, the next time you are sharing with someone and it doesn't go quite the way you planned...look around, check the office next door...you never know who else was listening and is ready for God's merciful transformation...

1 comment:

Corissa said...

I have experienced the same a few times and it surprises me each time it happens. God is always working,but not always in the way you think things will unravel. I love the blog! Looking forward to more.... had to laugh at the profile pic!
Blessings!
Corissa / The Undivided