Saturday, January 16, 2010

Like Father, like Son....

My youngest son is something else. He is a precocious, happy, energetic 7 year old with a zest for life that simply amazes me. He loves to play, read, laugh and talk, (go figure). Needless to say, his lack of a personal mute button does not always go over big at school...not to mention the fact that because he routinely finishes his classwork before his fellow students, he starts to talk about whatever is on his young 7 year old mind at the time and is deemed...well, disruptive by the teacher at times.
The notes that are sent home are often a source of stress for our family. Not that my son is violent, or acts out...the notes just say that he talks to much...which, in a classroom setting can indeed be distracting. We have tried everything to curb his need to express himself during times that are thought to be quiet times by other people. Scolding, pleading, demanding, talking, restricting privileges...all of our techniques work for a time but success is short lived and before we know it another note is written and the cycle begins again.
But, in spite of all of this, when I look at my son I see all of his goodness, all of his potential, all that he will one day be and I am overwhelmed with love for him.
I am a father...that's how we are...no matter what our children do...no matter how much they act up or act out, in the end we love them...even though we may not approve of their actions.
So too our Father in heaven.
He looks at us with nothing but love even when we are unlovable. He goes to any length to get our attention and to help us do the things that are right for us to do...our best interest is His only desire. Often when God does get our attention and we begin doing better...our success is short lived and before He knows it...well, you get the drift...
Being a father is the most rewarding task I can possibly think of...yet it is also the most trying. And I am the father of only five...with only one that still resides under my roof and that I am held accountable for...imagine being the Father of all...and being responsible for all...forever....
Think about that the next time your little "bundle of joy" comes home with a contrite face because of something they have done...then remember all of the times our Father sees the same thing in us....and simply forgives...
After all, that's what a Father does...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael,

I was here in Georgetown last night alone & spent some good quality time with our Father. "We"
talked about this unconditional love He has for us.Take care my brother.